Visiting Doctors Without Borders Refugee Camp
This experience will be helpful for me as I pursue a career as a teacher because I will have students from all different backgrounds and walks of life, and it may be very helpful for me to become more knowledgeable about lives of students that are underprivileged. It will also be helpful for me as I try to incorporate curriculum into my classroom that raises awareness of injustices and oppression in the world. With a knowledge of these injustices, I will better be able to educate my classroom.
Being Aware of Whom I Give Attention To
During student teaching, I asked my cooperating teacher to keep a log of students I called on most frequently; I gave her a class roster and asked her to make a tally mark next to students every time I acknowledged them in any way during whole group time. I then asked her to do the same thing separately during independent, small group, or partner activity time; in this way, I could see which students I gave the most attention to, both during whole group, as well as more individual attention during independent work. I also asked her to make notes of any significant patterns she sees in students I give attention to--for example, if I call more on boys than girls, etc. I asked my teacher to log this information on numerous occasions and during a variety of lessons and activities.
The results were somewhat surprising; while I thought I was very aware of attending to all students in my class, I realized there were a group of students that I hardly gave any attention to at all, particularly during independent time. While the results showed that I did a pretty good job at calling on or acknowledging a wide variety of students during whole group time, I realized that I would often continually go toward the same group of students when students were asked to work independently or during small groups. The results showed that the majority of the time, I would navigate toward lower-level students, no matter what the activity--even if it were simply an art project, and did not require a specific skill.
This information was truly eye-opening, and important for me to reflect on as I continue teaching. It think it is very important to be aware of how you treat students. Sometimes this is difficult to do, since, as a teacher, you have so many other things to worry about. However, I do not want to be a teacher who does not realize that she only calls on boys during math class, or high ability students during reading class. This can only perpetuate stereotypes, and make students second-guess themselves. I used the information that was gathered from my cooperating teacher to become more conscious of how I treat my students, and it is a practice I plan to continue as I continue my career as a teacher.